How can we help?
Search by keyword for a frequently asked question,
or browse the FAQ topics below.
CAN’T FIND THE INFORMATION YOU ARE LOOKING FOR?
Then contact us – we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
This is how the Toll4Europe OBU works: OBU Video.
EETS means "European Electronic Toll Service" and serves to create a Europe-wide electronic toll service. The aim is to create a toll solution that enables users ("EETS users") to obtain a toll device (On Board Unit, also "OBU") from an approved service provider ("EETS provider") that is compatible with all systems of the connected European toll areas ("EETS domain") across national borders and technologies. Each EETS Provider is subject to strict registration and certification procedures and its service must comply with all relevant EU regulations and national laws.
For toll collection in Europe, the customer will only need one On Board Unit (OBU) in the future - instead of many different ones. Thanks to EETS, the customer can invoice the charges for the different toll areas in Europe via a clear collective invoice and only one contractual partner.
The Toll4Europe services include the countries Belgium, Germany, Austria, France, Spain, Portugal and Bulgaria as well as the tunnels Liefkenshoek, Herrentunnel and Warnowquerung will be added. Continuous expansion will take place for countries such as Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Slovenia, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, Norway, Poland and bridges between Denmark and Sweden (Øresund/Storebælt).
- With the Toll4Europe solution you can book flexibly: first try out a toll area, add more or use them all together.
- Toll4Europe is continuously expanding its EETS coverage for:
- Tunnels (Liefkenshoek, Warnow and Herren tunnels)
- And many more
- “Over-the-air" and "non-stop" activation of the desired toll areas make booking services simple and flexible - without stopping at other service providers or having to replace the OBU at a later date.
- The fast, self-installation of the OBU on the windscreen of the vehicle and the simple handling of the OBU, make the solution immediately usable.
Registration for the Toll4Europe EETS service is done through dedicated Toll4Europe sales and service partners. The user or transport company must provide the relevant customer and vehicle data when registering. The sales and service partners take care of the technical registration and assign a T4E OBU to each vehicle. When registering for the T4E EETS service, the desired toll services must be selected for the toll areas that the customer wishes to use.
Once all relevant data has been transferred to the system, the T4E OBU can be personalized for individual use. The personalization process involves updating the T4E OBU with the necessary software, user and vehicle data and toll area parameters. Personalization is done “over the air” via the mobile network as soon as the T4E OBU is installed in the vehicle and connected to the power supply.
The Toll4Europe EETS service can be booked for one or more countries (as a "toll service" for dedicated toll areas). The selection of Toll4Europe's bookable toll services is constantly growing and can easily be added.
For each toll area, only one OBU should be in operation at a time to avoid the risk of multiple payments. This means that as soon as the Toll4Europe OBU is activated for the toll area, the previously used OBU can be switched off and removed.
It is the driver's duty to know the toll area-specific requirements in the respective country. In some toll areas, it is the driver's responsibility to enter additional, necessary data on the OBU or to update existing data.
This applies, for example, to data that can change during the journey (e.g. the number of trailer axles, maximum permissible total weight). T4E provides toll area-specific short instructions as well as a training video for the services bookable with Toll4Europe.
The OBU is ready for operation as soon as it is attached to the windscreen and connected to the power supply. The OBU is also initialized when the engine is started. After the necessary data has been loaded, the LED display switches to green.
If the OBU status indicator lights up red, please read the message on the OBU display carefully.
The following are the most common reasons for a red status indicator.
- The driver is currently in an area where no EETS toll service has been booked via Toll4Europe. The driver can view all booked toll services for the vehicle via the OBU menu, and can if needed book additional toll services via his sales partner.
- If T4E does not yet offer a toll service for the area being driven in or the toll service is not available via EETS, the driver must use the national toll service of another service provider. If there is no obligation to pay a toll in the area, the driver can continue driving.
- If a technical error message is displayed on the OBU, the driver must pause his journey and contact his service partner. The driver will receive appropriate support via telephone from customer support.
If the LED ring is permanently red, please contact your sales partner.
Toll4Europe and its distribution partners offer the T4E toll box for companies using vehicles over 3.5t.
Replacing a large number of toll boxes with a single OBU increases visibility through the windscreen in the driver´s cab. If you or your customers are travelling within more than one country, it's worth switching to the Toll4Europe EETS Box, allowing you to handle everything through a single contractual partner and without the need to serve a number contracts and invoices. With its EETS service, Toll4Europe reduces complexity.
The Toll4Europe OBU is not sold individually but is made available to customers via sales partners as part of a service package.
Depending on the country Toll4Europe's EETS service can be used for all toll vehicles from 3.5t or 7.5t. System access and the corresponding OBU can be ordered from our sales partners. They take care of your questions regarding registration, OBU ordering and billing as well as all other matters.
The OBU and any other available components (leads, batteries etc.), should be packed carefully to ensure no damage during transport and returned to:
c/o arvato distribution GmbH
W.-G.-Freund Str. 6
If returning multiple devices, note should be taken of any requirements regarding the transportation of Lithium Ion Batteries.
Never dispose of this product in household garbage!
For further safety information, please contact either your sales partner or use the contact form on our website.
In the download area of our website you will find the OBU quick guide as well as the OBU parameters. If you need more detailed information about the OBU please contact your sales partner or send us an e-mail via the contact form on our website.
Toll4Europe provides the road user with the tariff rates related to the different characteristics of the tariff key according to the current version of the tariff model defined in EETS legislation for Germany by the Federal Office for Goods Transport (Bundesamt für Güterverkehr (BAG)). The tariff vector will be used on the itemized trip list (Einzelfahrtennachweis) to refer to the details of the applied tariff. On the itemised trip list there is already shown a short explanation:
Description Tariff-ID: #GAKOOZZ
G - Gewichtsklasse (weight class)
A - Achsklasse (axles class)
K - Kategorie (category)
OO - Ortsklasse (location class)
ZZ - Zeitklasse (time class)
Within the current model of the tariff vector the following four combinations of weight class and axles class applies which are the first part to the tariff rate:
|Vehicle (GA)||Description||Infrastructure Costs (EUR/km)|
|2X||7,5 <= VCMTW < 12||0,080|
|3X||12 <= VCMTW <= 18||0,115|
|41||18 < VCMTW and 2 axles||0,160|
|42||18 < VCMTW and 3 axles||0,160|
|43||18 < VCMTW and 4 axles||0,174|
|44||18 < VCMTW|
and 5 or more axles
*X means that the tariff rate is independent of the axles class or in other words is the same for all number of axles
* VCMTW means Vehicle Current Max Train Weight
Category, location class, and time class yield in the current version of the tariff model the external costs which are the second part to the tariff rate: And the relationship between category and euro emission class plus particle filter.
|Category ID (K)||Category||Euro Emission Class||External Costs Air (EUR/km)|
Euro-3 plus filter of Particle
Reduction class 2
Euro-2 plus filter of Particle
Reduction class 1
|Locaction Class (OO)||Description||External Costs (EUR/km)|
|Time Class (ZZ)||Time Period||External Costs Noise (EUR/km)|
For the different combinations of the attributes of the tariff vector the applicable total tariff rate results from summing up the different parts.
Regardless of whether the vehicle fleet (>3.5t) consists of one truck, twenty or hundreds, the T4E toll box is worthwhile as soon as regular cross-bordered journeys take place.
- Toll4Europe offers an interoperable service with only one OBU across many national borders.
- The driver does not have to sign extra contracts in each country or equip his windscreen with many different toll boxes.
- Toll4Europe offers a fully integrated service platform: many countries, thousands of regulations, millions of data, clearly aggregated and professionally prepared.
- Billing for all toll areas is collected in one overview.
- Sales partners and their customers always have access to their data and can process and update it.
- Toll4Europe acts as a central switchboard and reliable contractual partner, whose EETS service covers all current requirements and regulations of the EU member states, their national authorities and toll operators.
Once you are a contractual partner of Toll4Europe GmbH you will subsequently connect to the Toll4Europe platform as a service partner. This way you can easily add the Toll4Europe EETS service to your existing service offers. You keep your contractual relationship and the direct contact to your customers.
Toll4Europe offers sales partners attractive remuneration models depending on fleet size and country coverage. We would be pleased to contact you personally.